In a short notice cancellation of the original light heavyweight title fight set for UFC 282, the title has been vacated and set to be decided by this new main event between Jan Blachowicz (29-9) and Magomed Ankalaev (18-1).
The fight is taking place on December 10th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The PPV will be available on ESPN+ with the main card starting at 10:00 PM ET.
UFC: Blachowicz vs Ankalaev Betting Trends
- Jan Blachowicz has won his last three fights as a +200 or more betting underdog. This is unheard of in combat sports.
- This is Ankalaev’s slimmest odds margin since February 2019, when he was a -210 favorite over Klidson Farias de Abreu.
- Ankalaev lost his UFC debut, the only blemish on his record, to Paul Craig, who was a +575 underdog.
- Blachowicz has nine KOs and nine submission victories in his 29-win MMA career.
- Ankalaev has nine KOs and zero submissions in his 17-win MMA career.
How To Bet on Blachowicz vs Ankalaev
The lines for this light heavyweight title fight are set. Blachowicz is the +215 underdog going into his 39th professional fight.
Ankalaev is the -255 betting favorite, which is one of the closest betting odds margins in his UFC career. With his elite skills, Ankalaev seems to have been dominant against everyone he has faced in the octagon.
When breaking down this title fight, make sure to do your research on both challengers. Blachowicz is 39 years old and has been the king of the UFC light heavyweight decision already. Will he have what it takes to take that crown back and beat the rising star?
Ankalaev is only 30 years old, just entering his prime in the sport of MMA. His body is now going to be in peak physical condition with the most power and speed he has ever had in the octagon.
Blachowicz averages over 12 minutes of fight time in the octagon, while Ankalaev averages 11:10. Even though Ankalaev will have a slight height advantage, the Polish former champion will have a three-inch reach advantage.
Both fighters’ striking stats are very similar. Blachowicz averages 3.55 strikes landed per minute, compared to Ankalaev’s 3.64. They are both very high-level MMA strikers with a lot of power in both their hands and kicks.
The key factor in betting on this fight will be the durability and ability to inflict damage on each other. Blachowicz has shown his ability to hurt people with kicks and knock people out with his hands. His jiu-jitsu skills are very underrated during his current run at the title because it has mostly been his powerful striking that has gotten him to the top of the division.
Ankalaev is from Dagestan but does not have the common fighting style of athletes that come from that region of the world. He loves to strike, and he is very technical. His elite grappling is something that he has in his back pocket, which might be something he needs to pull out in this matchup.
The final deciding factor will be who can implement their game plan on the other fighter. There will most likely be some adversity that both athletes need to get through, and it will be about who can find a way to win. These are two very high-level martial artists that will clash over 25 minutes.
Blachowicz vs Ankalaev Betting Picks
Our official pick for this fight is going to be Jan Blachowicz to regain the UFC light heavyweight title and add yet another upset victory to his resume.
Even at 39 years of age, he wants this belt back more than ever, and it is clear to see. He will show up in great shape, prepared to go out on his shield this time around after losing to Glover Texeira last year in an unexpected fashion.
Blachowicz has way more experience against the best of the best and will be able to change his game plan throughout the 25 minutes to steal rounds on the scorecards. Don’t count out a submission victory for him, either. If Ankalaev makes a mistake on the ground, Blachowicz will take advantage.
TOP #3 Sports Betting Sites to Bet on UFC
Top Sportsbooks Odds
BetOnline: Blachowicz +215
Bovada: Blachowicz +200
MyBookie: Blachowicz +206
BetUS: Blachowicz +200
DraftKings: Blachowicz +225
SportBet: Blachowicz +220
Bonus! Other Fights Worth Placing a Bet On
UFC Co-main event fight: Paddy Pimblett (-257) vs. Jared Gordon (+217)
- Pimblett is making his UFC PPV debut against a battle-tested Gordon fighting out of Queens, NY. This will be a fight that brings all the energy and potentially the people’s main event, with Pimblett being the biggest star on the card.
UFC main card fight: Darren Till (+172) vs Dricus Du Plessis (-197)
- Darren Till is finally set to make his return after multiple setbacks in the recent year. Du Plessis is one of the most exciting rising prospects in the UFC fighting out of South Africa. This will be a very even matchup of two great strikers.
UFC main card fight: Bryce Mitchell (+111) vs Ilia Topuria (-131)
- The undefeated rising contender Bryce Mitchell will be taking on one of the most exciting fighters in the featherweight division in Topuria. This will be a clash of elite grappling and elite power. Nothing more exciting in MMA than these two young stars going at it in T-Mobile Arena. Topuria is also who Pimblett infamously hit with a hand sanitizer bottle in London at the last event they both fought on.